15 Fantastic Resources for Creating Killer Blog Post Titles
Blog post title determines where your content will get shared or skipped
Struggling to create catchy titles for your blog posts? Don’t worry you’re not alone.
Coming up with catchy and engaging blog post titles can be challenging, even for seasoned bloggers like myself.
But, I can guarantee you that if you get good at creating awesome titles for your posts, your content will get more shares on social networking sites, generate more traffic to your site and have the potential to go VIRAL.
Now…I want to state for the record that I still have a lotttttttt to learn when it comes to creating titles for blog posts, but… I can tell you from experience with blogging for more than 2 years, that this is definitely a topic that you should place a lot of emphasis on.
The Top 5 Characteristics of a Killer Blog Post Title
I’ve mentioned before but want to keep reiterating that before I start writing out my blog posts, I put a lot of thought and emphasis on creating great blog post titles.
Because as stated in my quote at the beginning of this post, blog post titles can make the difference between a post that falls flat or one that goes viral.
When I think about + see killer blog post titles via my social media networks and online in general, here are some of the characteristics that they have:
1. The title has awesome power words in it
Power words used in headlines + marketing copy that get people to take action – in form or another.
Jon Morrow the founder of Boost Blog Traffic is hands down one of the BEST copywriters on the web these days. He does an excellent job of creating awesome titles for his content.
An example of a title that has some awesome power words:
It’s obvious…Power Words, Instantly, Better Writer what write doesn’t want to learn how to use power words to get better at writing?
This is exactly why Jon Morrows headline is an excellent example of how power words can amp up a blog post title.
2. The title evokes emotion + curiosity.
Think about it for a second. The last time that you clicked on a blog post title, what was it about the reason that you decided to read on?
Nine times out of 10 it was because there was some word or phrase used in the headline that piqued your curiosity + made you interested in taking a closer look at the content.
Example of a title that evokes emotion and curiosity:
My bud + dear friend Fabrizio of Magnet4Blogging.net knows that a lot of bloggers want to learn traffic generation strategies that dont involve Google + created a headline + title for a guide that shows bloggers how this can be done.
3. The title makes you click to read the content
Great blog post titles and headlines make people take action. It’s as simple as that. In fact, if a title is appealing enough, it’s almost as if you can’t help BUT to click to read the post.
I mean.. who doesn’t want to learn more about social media advertising.
Example of a Title that Makes You Click to Read More:
Hubspot’s Marketing blog is one of my favorites. These guys have a phenomenal content marketing team in place and do a fantabulous job of creating titles for their content.
4. The title encourages you to share the post with others
This may or may not happen in every case, but more than likely, when a blog post has a great title, it will more than likely get more shares and engagement online.
An example of a Tweet via The NYT that has gotten reshared and great engagement:
5. The title presents a benefit to you or your readers
The majority of the time, when I share content with my readers, there is something in the blog post title that reads to me >>> Hey Kim….“your audience will benefit from this post”.
An example of a post that I posted to Twitter that my readers loved:
Excellent Resources for Creating Killer Blog Post Titles
If you are new to blogging for business or blogging in general and you need help creating blog post titles, I’ve rounded up a list of 15 resources that you can use.
Guides for Creating Catchy Titles + Headlines
- 10 Sure-Fire Headline Formulas That Work (Copyblogger)
- The Ultimate Guide To Writing Incredible Headlines (Contently)
- A Simple Formula for Writing Kick-Ass Blog Titles (Hubspot)
- 100+ Blog Post Title Templates That Grab Attention (Twelveskip)
- How To Write Attention Grabbing Blog Post Titles – With Examples (Unbounce)
Resources Featuring Power Words to Add In Your Blog Titles
- 317 Power Words That’ll Instantly Make You a Better Writer (Boost Blog Traffic)
- The Big List of 189 Words That Convert (Buffer)
- 58 Online Copywriting Power Words & Phrases (mequoda.com)
- 238 Catchy Words List to Write Unique And Powerful Titles (MyQuickIdea.com)
- 20 Powerful Marketing Words & Phrases That Sell or Repel (Vertical Response)
Free Blog Post Title Generators for Writing Catchy Titles
- Hubspot’s Blog Topic Generator (Hubspot)
- Portent’s Content Idea Generator (Portent.com)
- Tweak Your Biz Title Generator (TweakYourBiz.com)
- ContentIdeator’s Blog Topic and Title Generator (Contentforest.com)
- Blog About By Impact’s Blog Topic Generator (Impactbnd.com)
Blog Post Headline + Title Analyzer Tools
Some additional Tips for Creating Excellent Blog Post Headlines and Titles
These are some additional tips that you can use to write great headlines for your blog posts:
- Use odd numbers in your list based headlines + titles. Convince and Convert reported that list based content with odd numbers have a 20% higher click through rate.
- Write specifically for your audience + what will benefit them. This is a matter of doing your research to figure out what they care about, what keeps them up at night, and what will benefit them.
- Put a ton of effort into creating great blog post titles for your content. I mentioned this earlier on in the post + cannot stress it enough. Really try your best to write the titles or at least some working titles for your content, then run them through title and headline analyzers to see get a feel for how they may perform.
Now..I would love to hear from you guys…. What strategies and techniques are you using to create headlines + titles for your blog posts?
Please leave your comments below….
SNAG THIS AWESOME BONUS: The 5 Step Checklist for Creating Killer Blog Post Titles