Focus on These 3 Things and Watch Your Startup Flourish
Are you struggling to figure out how to make the web work for your small business? Are you confused about what to do and what to focus on first?
I mean… there IS a lot of noise out there on the web today and it makes it all very confusing for small business owners that are new to the internet.
Just recently, I received a message from a small business owner new to the web asking for help with building his brand on the web and marketing a new product.
One of the first questions that I asked him was: who are you targeting with this product?
Their response: crickets…
There was no response.
My guess is that they are not clear on who they are targeting and what they need to do to get their product in front of that audience.
The Benefits of Clarity + Focus
If you are confused about what to do and how to get started with using the web to support your business, the most CRITICAL and important piece of advice that I can offer you is this:
Get clear on who you are targeting FIRST then figure out how to get focused on creating a strategy for getting your business in front of them.
You’ll want to do this because:
- You want to make sure that your message resonates with the right people
- It’s easier to focus on creating content for a specific type of audience
- Getting clear on your target audience will help you focus and message will attract the right visitors to your business
Since launching this brand, hiring a coach, conversing with fellow entrepreneurs and bloggers that I admire in this space, one thing started to become very clear to me: they are all pretty clear on who they serve and what they can help them with.
My Journey to Finding Clarity and Focus on the Web
Three years ago, I started a blog covering a topic that I was very passionate about. I made it a point to publish content there consistently – 2 to 3 times a week.
After a while, the blog started to gain traction and received recognition online from large publications such as the New York Times and even Small Business Trends.
Things started to pick up so well that traffic wise, the site started to receive more than 200,000 page views per month!
Don’t get me wrong, that kind of traffic is awesome…
But…there was a MAJOR problem with the site: I was trying to appeal to too many types of people.
As a result, the content that I created was too broad and all over the place.
The second issue was that I did not have a clear + targeted message that spoke to the right type of visitors.
You see, 200,000 visitors to a website is all fine and dandy…but if your site visitors are not the ideal prospects that you want to attract to your business, then it’s less likely that any of the offers you make from your site will appeal to them.
The Wake Up Call + The Comment that Completely Changed My Mindset
Google plus communities are one of my favorite places to network, interact with peers and share content.
It was here, that a fellow blogger + entrepreneur left a comment that totally rocked my world.
This all happened after I shared a post via Google plus community that we were both active in. He liked the post, commented on it and invited me to write content to his blog. I obliged of course…
He then asked for a link to my website so that he could take a look at some of my published content.
His response — “Wow Kim, you have a really nice site here — BUT… I am NOT clear on what you offer”.
Huh??? What do you mean you’re not clear on what I offer…
Folks, that one comment alone was a rude awakening for me. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. But deep down…I knew it was true.
What I Decided To Do Next
I sat..and pondered what I would do next. I figured..well there is no way in he$# that I am starting over. I had written and pumped out content on this site for more than 2 years, invested in all sorts of money into this program and that one…and so on and so forth.
But the truth of the matter is that I really didn’t have a choice BUT to start over. Since launching this new brand with YourChicGeek, it was seriously the Best decision I have made.
Prior to launching this brand I did two important things:
- Hired a business coach and mentor to help me get super clear on who I was targeting
- Created a message that resonates with the right people and a strategy for getting my brand in front of them.
Guys, you will not believe how much of a difference getting clear on who you want to attract to your business will make for your business.
Funny thing is that, I would hear people say it over and over – “get clear on who you are targeting + understand your target audience”… but I never did it.
I just assumed that if I blogged more, or shared my content on social media multiple times, or used the right tools…it would deliver the results that I wanted.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s just not how it works. You need to get targeted with your branding and messaging online.
How to Get Focused + 3 Important Considerations for Small Biz’s New to the Web
If you’re getting started on the web for the first time and you’re not really sure what to do and focus on first, here are a few things that you may want to consider:
- Get clear on who you want to target. Yep, I’m sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but if you’re new to the web and want to make the most out of your marketing and online efforts this is a key first step.
- Creating a targeted message around the market that you want to attract. After you have figured out who you want to target online, you will need to create a brand message that resonates with them.
- Create and build on a strategy for getting your message in front of that audience. After you you’ve identified a market that you want to serve, and have created a message that resonates with that market. Now it’s time to figure out how you to get your message in front of them. Some questions to consider are: what platforms will you will use to do it, and creating a solid brand identity that stands out amongst your competition.
Your next steps…
If you’re starting out online for the first time and are not sure what to do or focus on first, my Startup Like a CHAMP Guide gives you a detailed road map and plan of action to follow.
In the meantime, please drop me a line and let me know what you think about the post. I look forward to your comments.